Saturday, November 28, 2009

Listing with a REBNY Firm

As many of you know, I worked for a local firm for most of my career in real estate. Next month will mark my second year with Prudential Douglas Elliman. When I left my old firm, my former Broker said something to the effect that I did not think you would opt for a "corporate" firm. I actually heard a similar comment from a spouse of an agent for another local Brooklyn firm.

My experience at Elliman has been very positive. I do know really know what the "corporate" these people were describing, looks like, but I know I work with very professional people in a well-managed environment. I service my buyers and sellers better because of this.

In a changing market, as a seller, you want the widest exposure. It is incredible that in 2009, soon to be 2010, many of these local firms do not uniformly share listings nor will they return phone calls of outside brokers. I recently sold a house in Bay Ridge in a week and a half, that a local affiliate of a bigger national firm, could not sell in two months. I sold it as a co-broke with another REBNY firm (Real Estate Board of New York). As a practice, all the REBNY have to share our listings with other REBNY firms. And more and more in Brooklyn, more buyers have their own brokers and it is important to respect that relationship.

In 2009 it is crucial that the firm you list with, has a real web presence, with an easily searchable website. This is how almost all buyers look for real estate. Most of the local firms do not provide this service.

So as the market continues to recover, remember to give yourself the most exposure as a seller. You do that by listing with a firm with a good website, a web presence and one that will share listings. Of course, you need to price the property correctly. (And I am always willing to help.)

Have a good holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment