Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

The holidays for me are a mixed blessing-as those of you who know me well know, I do like to socialize. Luckily friends were leaving the birthday celebration for our friend and bartender extraordinaire Martin last night at midnight as I could have stayed out much later and I found an excuse to drive them home and leave. However I do miss my parents a lot during this time of year and learned this morning that my friends' dog, whom I am very attached to, may have cancer.

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays of the year, up there with July 4th, Rosh Hashanah and Passover. An odd mix, one might say. I have fond memories of family Thanksgivings in my parents' apartment in Queens, all of squeezed into a small space but all together. I remember one Thanksgiving in particular in San Francisco where I lived after college, with about 20 members of the Gay Men's Chorus and other friends, maybe 50 in all. The food was incredible, as well as the camaraderie. There's was lots of singing and no one wanted to leave.

I was on the elliptical machine this morning, watching Rachel Ray bringing Thanksgiving to a distressed town, with many needy families and my eyes welled up with tears. We take so much granted and Thanksgiving is just what it says. A day to give thanks, representing the best this country has to offer, when people come together and spend a meal together and express our gratitude for what we have. I have to lot to be thankful for-good health, great work colleagues, a healthy 15 year old dog who remains the love of my life, a nice apartment in a community I have grown to love, great friends and work that keeps me busy and thinking and creating. I for one, don't spend enough time focusing on gratitude and I hope this holiday will help me do more of that through this season and in my life. To all a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment